Mark Chapter 13 Verse 31 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. (NIV)
While on the Mount of Olives, Jesus gave a detailed prophecy telling us what was to come in the future. He ends this “Olivet Discourse” by stating our verse for today. We tend to think that what we see and feel, the things that are tangible, are everlasting and are the things on which we should focus. However, Jesus tells us that it is not the things which we see – like the earth and heavens – that we are to hold on to, it is the WORD that we need to hold on to.
In John 1:1 we are told that in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. Literally, this verse tells us that JESUS is the WORD…the WORD which will never pass away. People are always looking to hold on to the things of this life – money, possessions, position, power – but it is all going to pass away. Instead, we should be holding on to JESUS and HIS word. Taking a look at a few of the “I AM” promises that Jesus made should lift our spirits today. Jesus said:
- I am the light of the world (John 8:12) – we will not be in darkness!
- I am the bread of life (John 6:35) – we will not be hungry!
- I am the true vine (John 15:1) – we will bear fruit in HIM!
- I am going there [to heaven] to prepare a place for you (John 14:2) – we will forever have a place with GOD!
- I am the way and the truth and the life (John 14:6) – we know not just the destination (Heaven), but the ONLY way to get there!
- I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls (Matthew 11:29) – we will have our burdens lifted and true rest in HIM!
- I am the good shepherd (John 10:14) – we will be protected as the Shepherd protects His sheep!
- I am with you always (Matthew 28:20) – we will never be alone!
What is it that you are holding on to today? Is it your possessions, your job, your resources, your relationships? Remember, that all of those things will pass away, but only the WORD is eternal. Hold on to JESUS today and rejoice as you remember HIS promises…THEY WILL NEVER PASS AWAY!
Stephen and Mary
NOTICE: The advertisements on this and referred to sites are neither published by nor subject to True Hope Ministries and as such the content expressed does not necessarily reflect the beliefs of True Hope Ministries.